Saturday, February 13, 2021

Blog 1

Theme 1 Summative Reflection 

I've condensed and simplified the main points that stood out to me from the first four lessons in LIBE 467. Here are my conclusions. 

Lesson 1. 

  • The TL is the Information Matchmaker, making matches between students and resources, questions and answers. 
  • Information ≠ knowledge 
  • TL's job regarding research can be condensed to two steps: 
    • provide information 
    • provide tools/skills to interpret that information
  • All the 21st century literacy skills from AASL’s standards (as quoted by Riedling) are metacognitive in nature. 

Lesson 2. 

  • There is somewhat of a hierarchy of information search: 

¯       Quick fact check: “When was the War of 1812?”

¯       Directional request: “Where can I find info on the War of 1812?”

¯       Limited search: “What groups of people were involved in fighting in the War of 1812?”

¯       Research: “I need multiple sources to direct my analysis of whether the War of 1812 was a formative event in the identity of Canada.” 

  • A literate citizen is simply one who has learned how to learn. 

Lesson 3. 

I shared this table in the discussion, but I wanted to re-post it here. A comparison of inquiry processes: 

Lesson 4. 

  • “Isn’t this all on the internet?” I think I hear this every day. On days I don’t hear it, I’m the one who asks it. 
  • WHAT information is no longer as important as HOW it’s APPLIED. Information is inexpensive. Analysis and synthesis are valuable. 

The book. 

My interactions with Riedling’s book Reference Skills for the School Librarian have been mostly antagonistic so far. I don’t like the way it's written or constructed, and I suspect it’s out of date even though it’s on its third edition Most of the content sounds really “Boomer”—that is, it sounds like it’s been written by someone who, despite working in an emerging field, is still stuck with a lot of unexamined biases from a time when homogeneity was prized above all. I’ve made my opinions clear in the discussions, but I really don’t want to just tear it apart. I could ‘dunk’ on this book all day (I do love to trash-talk), but in the end I do realize that it was chosen as a resource that someone I’ve entrusted my education to has chosen, for a reason. I’m trying to see that reason. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I enjoyed reading about your main takeaways from each lesson, it was a great point form overview of each lesson. I love how you made the point about how information is not equal to knowledge, I feel as though that is a huge part of our learning in this course. I feel as though being a TL is all about learning how to best support students to navigate the mass of information that is out there and ensuring that they know that information and knowledge is not the same thing. In a time when there is so much misinformation out there I believe this is a very important part of our job as both TLs and classroom teachers. Finally, I really like your table of inquiry processes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    I enjoyed reading about your main takeaways from each lesson, it was a great point form overview of each lesson. I love how you made the point about how information is not equal to knowledge, I feel as though that is a huge part of our learning in this course. I feel as though being a TL is all about learning how to best support students to navigate the mass of information that is out there and ensuring that they know that information and knowledge is not the same thing. In a time when there is so much misinformation out there I believe this is a very important part of our job as both TLs and classroom teachers. Finally, I really like your table of inquiry processes!
    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    Your recap of lesson 4 made me laugh because I hear those words every time I tell someone I'm studying to be a teacher-librarian. I'm glad I now have a quick and informative reply to that comment.
    Thank you for your honest thoughts on Riedling's book. While I have the 4th edition and I don't know exactly what has been changed/updated between the editions, I also think there are parts of the book that are not up to date with the SLLC model and the new role(s) of the teacher-librarian.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete

Theme 3 Blog

A Reflection on Selected Items from Modules 8-12 Module 8: Ephemera Ephemera is a fun word. Not only does it sound nice, but it sounds ...